The existence of the commune of Bughea de Jos is certified by a written document dating from 1549, in which the village of Bughea de Jos is mentioned by Mircea Ciobanul, who acknowledges to some boyars several inherited estates. In former times, the village of Bughea de Jos was the slums of the town of Cîmpulung; in 1926, it became an independent commune with its own administration. According to scientific data, the name of the commune of Bughea de Jos is derived from the Slavonic origin word “bug”, which means ravine; this explanation makes sense, as there is a large number of ravines in the locality.
In a census made in 1838 for the town of Cîmpulung, the Slums of Bughea de Jos are mentioned and appear as the only ones marked in green; about 138 families lived there. In 1881, the first school is founded in Bughea de Jos.
Pursuant to the Royal Decree of 7 October 1925, whereby a new administrative and territorial division of the country was instituted, the inhabitants of the slums of Bughea de Sus, Bughea de Jos and Malu were separated from the town of Cîmpulung to make up the commune of Bughea, managed by the council of Bughea de Jos since 1926.
In 1928, the commune Bughea de Sus was formed as a separate entity, and the villages of Bughea de Jos and Malu formed the commune of Bughea de Jos. On the 1st of January 1930, a central commune was formed at Bughea de Jos; said commune was made up of the villages of Bughea de Jos, Bughea de Sus, Albeşti, Cîndeşti and malu. In 1931, the communes of Bughea de Jos, Malu, Bughea de Sus and Albeşti are formed once again. In 1932, the village of Malu became a separate commune, and in 1946 it merged as a village with the commune of Godeni.
Bughea de Jos remained a commune until the month of January 1989, when it returns to the status of village appended to the commune of Albeştii de Muşcel, with the centre at Bughea de Sus. In 1990, Bughea de Jos becomes a commune again.
The commune of Bughea de Jos is situated in the north of Argeş County, in the sub-Carpathian area of the Meridional Carpathians, on the left bank of Bughea River and the interfluves of the Bughea and Bratia rivers.
Situated at a latitude of 45.27° north and 25° east, and dominated by Ciocanu hills (886 cm), the commune is located in a region with a temperate continental climate with influences specific to areas of low pressure; the mean annual temperatures generally range between -20°C and +33°C.
Vegetation: mostly specific to hilly areas covered in hardwood and softwood forests, herbaceous flora, meadowland and orchards.
The fauna of the commune is specific to hilly areas. The following mammals are fairly common for this area: the hare, the fox, the wolf and the bear.