The first document to record the name of “Lereşti” was issued by Mircea cel Bătrân in 1414, and was a title deed whereby Ioan Burcea and Callian were granted title to the village of Braniştea Urasei, the estate Vadul Şercaei and “a sheepfold in the Lereşti Mountains” with exemption from tax and duty service. The locality of Lereşti has borrowed its name from these mountains (schedule I).
The history of the commune becomes more interesting in the 15th century. In 1963, in the place known as “La ziduri”, following some archaeological excavations, the remains of an unknown cult building were discovered. Old coins, pottery and adornments from the 15th century were found.
A phrase worth remembering is “iuzbaşă de roşii”, which designated a military rank, more precisely the commanding officer of a 100-men company of cavalry soldiers (“the reds”), coming from the small landed gentry, who carried out both military and administrative and fiscal activities, and paid the tax called “darea ruşală” (an annual due charged to the reds, amounting to 30 ughi). It follows that Lereşti was a village inhabited by “plăieşi”, that is border guards in charge of guarding the borders with Transylvania.
The presence of an “iuzbaşă” of Lereşti bears a particular importance. The father of Tudoran was the boyar Preda, chamberlain and lord in waiting of voivode Radu Mihnea, mentioned in a document dated 24 September 1614.
These documents provide us with valuable information on the social, economic, historical and cultural life of the 15th – 16th centuries in the northern region of Muscel, where the locality of Lereşti is situated. In some documents dating back to the end of the 16th century, there are mentions regarding the village of Voineşti. Thus, in a charted dated 27 August 7090 (1585), issued by Mihnea Voievod, reference is made to the estate of Voineşti. This document clearly attests to the existence of the village before the date of issuance of the documents, as a phrase of the document reads as follows: “… because this village was an inheritance…”.
The landforms found on the territory of the commune are: hills (the village pastures), the riverside unto which the houses of the inhabitants are built, and, on the left side of Târgului River (Râul Târgului), there are the following mountains: the Baratu and Zănoaga Mountains, in the north the Iezer-Păpuşa, Grădişteanu and Fracea Mountains, and in the east of the commune, the Strâmtu, Dobriaşu, Muşuroaiele, Piscul Calului and Găinaţul Mountains.
Soil fertility is poor, as it contains about 80% gravel, due to the fact that the riverbed has been diverted several times.
A series of secondary landforms make up this massif, which has the highest peaks: Iezerul Mare – 2462 m and Vârful Roşu – 2469 m.
The climate is temperate. Temperatures generally range between 12 and 25 °C in summer and between 5 and -10 °C in winter.
Precipitation comes in the form of rain, sleet and snow, in normal quantities. No extraordinary precipitation amounts have been reported.
The Commune of Lereşti is crossed by Târgului River (Râul Târgului), which has the following three main tributaries: Bătrâna, Cuca and Râuşorul, that spring from the Făgăraş Mountains (Munţii Făgăraşului). Upstream from the commune of Lereşti, there is an artificial lake (Barajul Râuşor), which the tributaries “Râuşorul” “Bătrâna”, and “Cuca” flow into.
On the territory of the Commune of Lereşti, which includes parts of the Iezer Mountains (Muntele Iezer) and the Argeş Sub-Carpathian Hills (Subcarpaţii Muscelelor), as well as contact zones between mountains and hills, there are a few nature reserves, which have been declared natural monuments by the Committee on Natural Monuments and protected by law.
Thus, in the vicinity of the commune, there is the Paleontological and Geological Reserve of Albeşti, which is situated on the territory of the village of Bughea de Sus and stretches over an area of 3,600 square metres. Eocene limestone containing Nummulites and sea urchins, as well as granite of Albeşti – an eruptive rock mass at the core of crystalline schists – can be found over an area of 300 square metres.
There are also other monuments: the Bears’ Cave (Peştera Urşilor) of Grădişteanu, an important speleological attraction boasting galleries stretching over 250 metres, rooms with high ceilings, deposits and erosions in the form of recesses, turrets, watermarks and stalactites, and deposits of cave bear (Ursus spelaeus) bones.
Other speleological attractions situated mainly in the north and north-east, among which worth mentioning are the Wolf Cave (Peştera Lupului), Plăişoru Cave (Peştera din Plăişoru) and Căpitanu, deserve to be placed under the protection of the law; equally worth mentioning are the sharp rocks of Iezerul Mare, the flower carpets made up of spring gentian and bladder gentian (Gentiana verna and Gentiana utriculosa), mountain thyme (Thymus alpestris), alpine violets (Viola alpina), which grow in the rock holes at altitudes of 2000-2100 metres, the stone pine trees (Pinus cembra) – a conifer which has been declared a natural monument as it is extremely rare – which grows within the areas known as Căldările Boarcăşului şi Colţii lui Andrei.
At the date of the last census, the commune of Lereşti had a population of 4950 inhabitants.
– village of Lereşti – 2880 inhabitants
– village of Voineşti – 1685 inhabitants
– village of Pojorâta – 385 inhabitants
The commune is served by the trunk road DJ 734 section running from the point named “Garda” up to Voina Cabin (Cabana Voina), which is situated in the north of the commune.
The commune of Lereşti stretches over an area of 14.219 ha.